Common Orthodontic Problems
For optimal function and ideal aesthetics, our teeth should be properly aligned, with the ability to bite down in a very specific way. However, most of us do not have perfect teeth. You may have an orthodontic problem or malocclusion (bad bite) that makes it more difficult to chew, speak or even maintain proper oral hygiene.
Orthodontic problems can occur from a multitude of causes. Your malocclusion may be something you inherited or caused by a habit such as thumb sucking or even mouth breathing. Premature loss of baby teeth, a dental injury and poor nutrition can also contribute to orthodontic problems.
Dr. Iaculli is a highly skilled and experienced orthodontist who can treat the following common orthodontic problems with the latest technology and techniques in orthodontic treatment:
• Crossbite: This refers to upper teeth that sit inside the lower teeth, which may result in tooth stratification and a misaligned jaw bite.
• Crowding: When your mouth does not have room for all of your teeth, you may be a candidate for orthodontic treatments such as expansion, which can be an excellent alternative to tooth extraction.
• Midlines: A dental midline is the line between your two upper front teeth and your two lower front teeth. If you have a midline problem, your back bite may not align properly, leading to poor function of your jaw and teeth.
• Openbite: This occurs when a patient’s upper and lower front teeth do not overlap. Openbite is seen in often in those with a thumb sucking habit.
• Overbite: If you have an overbite, your upper front teeth extend out over your lower front teeth, which can lead to chewing or biting problems.
• Protrusion: For patients with protruding teeth, their upper teeth hang too far forward, causing difficulties in jaw function and affecting their facial aesthetics.
• Spacing: Gaps between the teeth are a very common problem caused by missing teeth or normal development.
• Underbite: This refers to lower front teeth that sit inside the upper front teeth, causing the lower jaw to protrude.
At East Cobb Orthodontics, you will find a dedicated and caring staff who is waiting to address your specific orthodontic problem at any stage of life. If you have problems such as crowding, gapping or bite irregularities, we can help you. Our practice is known for offering the latest orthodontic treatments including Damon clear braces and Invisalign. Contact us today to schedule an orthodontic consultation with Dr. Iaculli.